ALSO FEATURED ON
IT IS REAL, but you can help.
- 168 million child labourers in the world (as at 2013)
- Child labour is present in just about every industry in the world (e.g. Bananas, coffee, clothes, mining & sex trade, to name a few)
- In February 2016, Obama banned slave-produced imports into the US - read more
WHY IS IT HAPPENING?
- Companies are looking for cheaper solutions to production.
- In cotton picking, employers prefer to hire children for their small fingers, as to not damage crop.
- Children are low-skilled workers without a voice so they are easier to manage.
(Source: The Guardian/UNICEF)
Where is it happening?
- It is widespread across the globe.
- Present in over 136 industries.
- Download a list of countries and industries here.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
1. BUY FROM ETHICAL* FASHION BRANDS
*The process to produce a garment involves many steps. From growing seedlings, to weaving fabrics to retailing; there are many opportunities to incorporate ethical practice. The brands above use ethical practices at one or more stages of their production process.
2. BUY A MAGAZINE
3. DONATE TO A CHARITY
UNICEF is the United Nations Children's Fund, the video on the right gives you a quick intro to what they do.
Destiny Rescue is also a brilliant charity that rescues young girls out of the sex trafficking.
World Vision does great work support children so they don't have to work - often in dangerous conditions.
4. GET IN TOUCH
Ethical school uniforms
To learn about ethical school uniforms contact Judith @ email@example.com
Contribute to The Naked Mag
Have a story to share with us? Email Kyra @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Partnership & Media
For business enquiries, contact Edda @ email@example.com
ABOUT THIS VIDEO
Thank you to the children and Somerset College (Gold Coast, QLD) for allowing us to film.
Videography: Michael Geddes
Director: Edda Hamar
Interview Assistant: Inga Hamar Osborne
Produced by: Undress Runways Inc.